Our Sustainability Promise
At Spyder, we are proud to make high quality ski gear that protects you from the coldest, wettest weather nature has to offer, so you can spend more time enjoying the mountains. We aim to do so while also helping protect the mountains we love to call home. Climate change can’t be tackled by any one person, company, industry, or country, so we partnered with some of the outdoor industry’s leading sustainable brands to do our part to try and ensure that snow keeps falling and tree runs remain untouched at ski areas near and far. We still have plenty of room for growth, and we’re constantly looking for new ways to make our products even more environmentally friendly. But we’re doing the best we can right now, and we encourage you to do the same.
NO ONE CAN SOLVE THE CLIMATE CRISIS ALONE, SO WE PARTNER WITH THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS.
- GORE-TEX 2-Layer jackets utilize PFCec-free Durable Water Repellent (DWR) to eliminate poly-fluorinated chemicals that are harmful to the environment
- Gore is a founding member of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC)
- PrimaLoft® makes biodegradable and 100% recycled synthetic insulation that provides some of the warmest wear in the business.
- P.U.R.E. manufacturing technology relies on air instead of heat from an oven to produce insulation; drastically reducing carbon emissions.
- PrimaLoft® is also on the forefront of using anaerobic biodegradable fabrics; organic matter which can be broken down into carbon dioxide, water, methane, or simple organic molecules by micro-organisms and other living things without oxygen.
- The leading, most trusted, branded performance fiber made from recycled materials (including plastic bottles).
- 3M™ Thinsulate™
- Thinsulate contains 50% recycled polyester fibers from post-consumer waste and its manufacturing plants recycle 100% of the polyolefin waste material.
TURNING OUR PASSION INTO ACTION
SUPPLY CHAINS POLLUTE TOO, SO WE CHOOSE OURS WISELYThe Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) developed the Higg Index; a suite of tools that enables brands, retailers, and facilities of all sizes to accurately measure a company or product’s sustainability or performance at every stage of its supply chain journey. The Higg Index’s holistic overview empowers businesses to make meaningful improvements that protect the well-being of factory workers, local communities, and the environment. Read more about the Higg Index here.
THE LITTLE THINGS ADD UP.
THE BIG PICTURE
As Spyder continues to think about the future, and works to maximize the environmental sustainability of our business, here is a look at some of the changes we are pursuing:
- We are embracing solution dye techniques for all products; reducing water and chemicals used in the fabric dye process. The solution dye process includes mixing the pigment in with the raw or recycled polyester chips before they are even extruded into filaments. By dyeing the fibres without water, there will also be a reduced chemical waste.
- For Fall/Winter 2021, all outerwear pieces will include a NFC chip in the zipper pull from our YKK® supplier. This chip is linked to a website that will inform customers how to clean and maintain their gear, as well as end of lifecycle information.
How Spyder gear gets to you:
- The Redlands, CA shipping facility is currently running with 45% renewable energy, with goals to expand.
- We are moving production to Latin American factories. By moving production closer to our sales market, we shorten the distance goods need to travel, thus reducing the carbon footprint associated with moving supplies overseas.
HOW SPYDER GEAR IS DESIGNED AT OUR BOULDER, CO HQ.
- Community receptacles reduce the amount of waste.
- No plastic utensils/plates are available in our communal kitchens.
- Reclaimed wood is used throughout the building.
- Tinted windows reduce air conditioning use.
- Marketing initiatives include 100% recyclable point-of-sale falcon board and metals that have a powder coat resin.